Thursday, May 20, 2010

Historic Season

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not the biggest soccer fan in the world.  I was raised on baseball, basketball, and football, and gravitated towards hoops, because I like games where scoring happens often.  But I gotta tell ya, this Kirkwood team changed my mind.  Soccer was fun to watch when these girls played.  First off, they're great kids, so they've got my attention right off the bat.  But they were also a great soccer team.  Tonight they battled a highly ranked opponent, and took them into overtime.  It was a highly competitive game, but both teams displayed great sportsmanship.  Both teams had chances, and they game really could have gone either way.  Unfortunately, the UA Bears scored in the first overtime, and this dream season came to a crashing end.  That doesn't, in any way, diminish the amazing effort the Pioneers put forth tonight.  So much was accomplished this year. . . the groundwork was laid for seasons of success that will certainly follow.  Though 11 phenomenal seniors leave, a talented group of underclassmen will carry on the tradition.  Coach Cotta and Coach Steinmetz have done a great job, and Kirkwood soccer is in good hands.  Thank you seniors, thank you Pioneers!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment