Sunday, June 27, 2010

Nevada to California

Yesterday I traveled Highway 50 across Nevada, called "The Lonliest Highway in America".  I was expecting desert, with tumbleweeds blowing across the road, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  You were either in the mountains or riding with them in the distance the entire way.  The temperature was around 70 for most of the trip.   
I had planned to stop in Reno, but was overwhelmed with all the "stuff", so I just kept going.  At 4:30, I crossed into California!  I was going to camp, but I'm learning I have problems stopping.  I ended up just outside of Sacramento.  I had planned on camping, but it was 97 deg and humid, so I looked for a hotel.  After trying two that were full (you might want to light the "NO" on your "VACANCY" sign, by the way), I finally stumbled into a Howard Johnsons.  I paid more than I wanted to for the room, but the shower and A/C felt so good.  Plus, I got free waffles this morning, so I've got that going for me.  I'm sticking around until the 11:00am checkout, then plan on heading up towards Ft. Bragg.  The temp there is in the 50's. . .  ahhhh.
Thanks to Matt Fagan for asking me to find some old cars and trucks on the way.  It's been a fun exercise.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for more!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment