Friday, July 2, 2010

Across Oregon

Woke up this morning and it was still raining.  Packed up and headed north towards Newport.  It was in the 50’s, but the rain and clouds made it feel colder.  Got to Newport and checked the weather further north.  It showed nothing but rain all day, so I made the decision to “Turn Right” and start the journey back east.  I climbed up into the mountains, and as I climbed, the temperature dropped into the low 40’s and the rain picked up, and the fog rolled in. . . wonderful!  Just when I got down and started to relax a little, Officer Mr. Highway Patrol Guy clocked me at 78 in a 55.  55!!  I thought that speed limit was gone in the 70’s.  Who has a 55 mph speed limit?!  Oh yea, Oregon. . .

Anyway, he wasn’t very pleased with me and was extra upset when he went to get my license plate number and my sandals were hanging down covering the plate.  He went back to the car and wrote my ticket and when he came back, started explaining it to me, but it was upside down, so I moved over where I could read it, and he freaked and told me to move back, I was “too close to my gun”.  Then, after he gave me the ticket, he said, “What’s this weekend?”, but I didn’t hear him, so I lightly put my hand on his shoulder and leaned in and said, “what was that?”, and apparently, you shouldn’t touch a highway patrol man, because he maced me, wrestled me to the ground,  and cuffed me!  (No not really, but he sure did give me a dirtly look till I quickly removed my hand).  

I kept on for the next 100 miles at ridiculously low speeds till I reached Bend, Oregon.  I was trying to decide if I should go south to Crater Lake or continue east.  The guy at the gas station (this one didn’t show up until I was done, and scared me half to death when I turned around to put the nozzle away.  His job was apparently to push “yes” to the receipt question) suggested I call the Visitor Center.  I did, and they said they were having snow which I figured wouldn’t mix too well with my novice motorcycling skills, so I decided to skip it and just continue on.  I made it about 190 miles west of Boise before the rain and cold just wore me down,.  I found this sketchy roadside motel ($39 per night with wi-fi and cable),  It’s awesome.  Totally low-rent, but clean.  I’m livin’ the dream.  A couple Nature Valley Sweek & Salty Almond Granola bars for dinner and I’m headed to bed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment