Friday, July 16, 2010

Football Scrimmage

After several days of miserable heat, the weather cooperated for today's scrimmage held at Nipher Middle School.  It was fun to see the kids and coaches get after it as they continue their work to become the best they can be.  I've always enjoyed watching great athletes play, and I'm now finding that I equally appreciate watching great coaches coach.  One fellow coach had this to say about Coach Irvin. . . "He's the real deal. We'll be great because of him."    Here Coach Irvin works with the offensive line.


The kickers always seem to have a lonely job. 

When I was younger and first coaching, I thought I "knew it all", but the older I get, the more I realize how little I know or am sure of anymore.  One thing I DO know, however, is that Matt Krapfl was meant to be a coach.  I had the pleasure of watching Matt play in high school when he was the Missouri Offensive Player of the Year, and I had the fortune of coaching him in basketball.  He is a fierce competitor.  I still remember his first basketball game with the varsity, when after only one day of practice, he hit 3 big 3's, including the game-winner in the closing seconds of overtime.  He's going back to school now to get certified, and I can only hope he ends up at Kirkwood. Here Matt works with a young QB.
 


It's tough, when you're young, to sometimes realize how good you have it.  I hope these kids realize what a great coaching staff they have.  Here, Coach Bensinger works with some freshmen running backs.  Coach Bensinger is a rock-solid man, a tremendous teacher,  and a heck of a coach.  He cares about his players on and off the field.  


I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Banks from Ohio, whose son is a running back for the Pioneers.  It was nice to hear how highly he thought of Kirkwood and Coach Irvin.    Here he shares a smile with his son while he reiterates what the coaching staff was saying about "running north and south". . .

Coach Irvin has a great rapport with his players, in part because he is such a great communicator.  He holds them accountable, but also spends a great deal of time challenging them and encouraging them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment