Friday, September 10, 2010

Kirkwood Beats Seckman, McHugh is My Player of the Game

One of the great things about having a blog, is that I can write about what I want to write about, and tonight I want to write about #18, Mike McHugh. . .

I remember Coach Irvin talking about this kid after the first camp this summer.  He was really excited about his ability and the type of kid he was.  I have to be honest, I didn't really know who he was talking about.  Fast forward a couple of months, and what do you know, this kid is on my class list for my first hour Pre-Calculus class.  He hasn't played in a football game yet, because he suffered a leg injury before the first game.  He's pretty quiet, and doesn't have much to say until about a week and a half ago, when he walks in looking like Jay Leno.  His chin was huge.  He started telling the class how it just got bigger and bigger the day before, and ultimately, he had to have it drained.  Turns out it was a serious infection.  He spent this past weekend in the hospital, and has been going back every morning to get it cleaned and checked out.  I know this much, if it was me, I wouldn't have been out of bed for a week, but Mike was back in school trying to stay caught up.  Then I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him dressed out for the game tonight.  He'd been cleared to play.

I kid you not, most people wouldn't even be up and walking around (much less playing a sport where one of the pieces of equipment actually goes across your CHIN) after what Mike went through this past week.    I would guess that just putting a helmet on was a painful experience, so when I saw him enter the game, I couldn't believe it.  Then, on his very first play of the year, he caught a beautiful 16-yard pass for a touchdown!!  I can't remember when I've been more excited to see a touchdown scored in a high school game!  I was going NUTS!!

Mike, I know you have many great moments ahead of you, but you'll be hard-pressed to impress me more than you did tonight.  I'm so proud of you!

More game photos at www.kriewallphotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment